Easy yet powerful font editor
With Fontographer 5, it’s easy to design new typefaces and to customize
existing fonts, and the result will be high-quality fonts that can reliably work
across different operating systems.
- Create new fonts
- Customize existing fonts, add extra characters
- Fine-tune spacing and kerning
- Fix problems in bad fonts
- Convert old fonts to a new format
In version 5 (available for both Mac OS X and Windows), we’ve made Fontographer
even easier to use: without specialized knowledge about font formats and font
technology, any FOG user is able to create professional-quality fonts.
The secret behind this is our own unparalleled font technology know-how. The
mature FontLab Studio engine, combined with brand-new sophisticated algorithms,
provide the technical underpinnings for the new Fontographer 5. In fact, FOG
5 is even able to read and export FontLab VFB files, so exchanging documents
between different font editors is easy!
Looks smooth, rocks hard
While FontLab Fontographer 4.7 was a small improvement over version 4.1, the
new version 5 is truly a major overhaul of the product. We’ve remained
close to the Fontographer spirit yet brought the improvements necessary for
a modern font creator in the 21st century.
Our work on Fontographer 5 was like a restoration of a classic car. We’ve
kept the familiar, elegant body that users love, giving it just a subtle facelift.
And then we’ve replaced the old inefficient engine by modern cutting-edge
Seasoned users of Fontographer 3 and 4 will quickly find themselves at home,
and new users will find the product very easy to learn.
New Features in Version 5
The highlights of the new Fontographer 5
Font formats and international support
NEW! Glyph antialiasing (smoothing) in all application windows
- IMPROVED! Glyph window zoom level up to 1600%
- IMPROVED! Radically redesigned and updated, easy-to-use Font
Info dialog for editing the relevant technical parameters for all font formats,
including OpenType, with updated, intelligent, automatic generation of OpenType-compatible
font family naming and of cross-plattform linespacing values
- NEW! Powerful Spotlight-like glyph search feature that allows
you to quickly highlight or select glyphs based on the Unicode codepoint,
glyph name or Unicode character name (including wildcards)
- NEW! Easy access to the unencoded glyphs (OpenType alternates)
using the FontLab prefix convention
- IMPROVED! Metrics and kerning editing in the Metrics Window
- IMPROVED! Manual editing of Type 1 hints
Operating system and application support
- NEW! Font generator and reader for OpenType fonts (both
PS/.otf and TT/.ttf flavor) with 20,000+ glyphs
- NEW! Reads Mac Type 1 font suitcases (FFIL), Mac datafork
suitcases (.dfont) and TrueType Collections (.ttc)
- IMPROVED! Opening and generation of Type 1 fonts, using
cutting-edge FontLab technology
- IMPROVED! Full Unicode compatibility (fonts and user interface),
including support for the Unicode Standard version 5.2
- NEW! OpenType Layout features can be defined using the
most recent Adobe FDK for OpenType (AFDKO) version 2.5 syntax
- NEW! Modern OpenType-compatible encodings and a full set
of international encodings
- NEW! Support for OpenType digital signatures (DSIG) NEW!
Reads and exports the FontLab VFB format for easy integration into a FontLab-based
- NEW! Great screen font quality thanks to the integrated
Adobe PostScript autohinter and the excellent FontLab TrueType autohinter
- NEW! Integrated Adobe Type 1 and Microsoft TrueType rasterizers
for high-quality bitmap generation from hinted outlines, and the ability to
export the bitmaps in BDF format
- IMPROVED! Runs natively on Mac OS X (universal binary),
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
- IMPROVED! Copy-paste and import-export of Illustrator
and Freehand outline artwork
- IMPROVED! Copy-paste and import bitmap images for autotracing
…plus countless additional improvements and bug fixes.
Fontographer 5 for Windows: Modern Intel-compatible computer with 64 MB RAM and a hard drive, Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10. Fontographer 5 for Windows is a 32-bit Windows application, but can run on 64-bit. On Windows 8 or Windows 10, Fontographer needs to be run in XP compatibility mode.
Fontographer 5 for Mac: Intel-based Mac computer with 64 MB RAM and a hard drive. Mac OS X 10.5 or higher (including Mac OS X 10.11). Works in half-res mode on Retina screens. Fontographer 5 for Mac is a 32-bit universal binary application.